The International Literature Festival Dublin is running Date With An Agent 2015 – Ireland’s largest ever talent-spotting event. We are looking for 75 top quality authors to pitch their work to 5 leading literary agents keen to sign new talent on 16th May 2015.
To be in with a chance to take part in the event, submit the first 1,500 words of your book in hard copy with a 1,000 word synopsis, a 500 word author biography and the completed Application Form (available from the International Literature Festival Dublin website) and €10 entry fee (if using TicketSolve, include a copy of your ticket) – please ensure that ONLY your book title is on the pages of your submission as all applications will be judged anonymously.
Submissions to the event will be assessed by Vanessa Fox O’Loughlin and a team of consultants from The Inkwell Group. Experienced literary scouts Inkwell have assisted award winning and bestselling authors to publication and will be reading every application, matching the selected authors to agents including:
- Simon Trewin, Partner and Head of Literary at WME
- Sallyanne Sweeney of Mulcahy Associates
- Clare Wallace, Darley Anderson Literary, TV and Film agency
- Julia Churchill, AM Heath
- Paul Feldstein, Feldstein Literary Agency
Please staple the synopsis and chapters together firmly, and the Application Form and author biography together separately from the chapters. The closing date for applications is midnight on 27th March, please ensure you allow sufficient time for delivery. Items postmarked up to 26th March will be accepted.
This year the full day of agent panel, editor panel (including Patricia Deevy of Penguin Random House and Paula Campbell of Poolbeg/Ward River Press), multi award winning author Mary Costello in conversation, and Vanessa Fox O’Loughlin’s getting published tips will be open to all writers, both to those who have successfully submitted to meet an agent, and to those may not be ready to do so, at a cost of €50. Successful applicants will be scheduled to discuss their book with one of the agent panel and will be notified of the time of their meeting. The event will take place on 16th May.
Date With an Agent Rules, Terms & Conditions:
- Your submission is double-spaced
- Printed in 12pt Times New Roman or Arial, single sided.
- All PAGES ARE NUMBERED
- That your name does not appear on the submission
- That your book title does appear on every page of your submission (in header or footer)
- Your submission consists of the opening 1,500 words of your book and a 1,000 word synopsis.
Please staple your opening chapter and synopsis together, stapling your author biography (500 words) to the application form NOT to the chapters.
Please do not put your submission in a folder or bind it in anyway.
Please do NOT send your entire book. The writing sample will give The Inkwell Group team a very clear idea of the impact of your opening chapter on a reader, your writing style, voice and delivery. If successful, the agents will read your submission prior to meeting you and should they wish to see more, will ask for it.
- The International Literature Festival Dublin Date With An Agent event is open to unagented writers of any nationality writing in English, 18 years old and over at the time of the closing date.
- Submissions may be fiction (novel or short story collection) or non-fiction.
- Submissions will only be accepted in the format specified. All submission fees are non-refundable.
- The submission address is The Inkwell Group, The Old Post Office, Kilmacanogue, County Wicklow.
- Multiple submissions are accepted. Writers may make as many submissions as they choose but the submission fee must be paid for each submission.
- Books do not need to be completed but please indicate the full word count of the manuscript (what you actually have rather than what you hope to have!)
- Cheques and postal orders should be made payable to International Literature Festival Dublin. Credit card payments are facilitated online via TicketSolve.
- If your application is successful you will be notified by 17th April and required to book a ticket for workshop on 16th May at a cost of €50. This includes all refreshments, the morning agent panel session, a ‘getting published’ session with Vanessa Fox O’Loughlin, multi award winning author Mary Costello in conversation and a panel discussion with several leading editors.
- If you are unsuccessful in being selected, you are very welcome to attend the main part of the event, at a cost of €50.
- Writers not submitting work for consideration are also welcome to attend the event at a cost of €50.
- The International Literature Festival Dublin is not responsible for travel or accommodation for participants. If you are unable to attend for any reason, please notify International Literature Festival Dublin immediately so your place can be transferred. Bookings are non-refundable except in special circumstances.
- The selector’s decision will be final and no correspondence may be entered into, however in addition to the shortlist of selected writers, there will be a reserve list compiled, if appropriate, in case of cancellation. Writers will be notified by 20th April if their application has been successful. Due to the logistics of selection International Literature Festival Dublin cannot notify unsuccessful candidates.
- Entries must be entirely the work of the entrant and by submitting you are confirming that the work is your own. Any evidence to the contrary will result in immediate disqualification.
- Submission is open to books that have been self-published, but not to books that have been previously published by a publishing house.
- Please inform us immediately if you accept an offer of representation elsewhere prior to the event. Submission & booking fees will not be refunded
- Entries are not returned; make sure you keep a copy. Unsuccessful entries will be destroyed.
- Amendments cannot be made to entries after they have been submitted, nor substitutions made. If entrants wish to correct errors they must submit a new entry, marked ‘Final Version’ on the title page, and enter again with payment of the entry fee. No correspondence or discussion about amendments will be entered into.
- Please ensure that you use the correct postage. If insufficient postage is used, International Literature Festival Dublin will not pay the additional postage required and the entry will be returned by An Post.
- Enclose a stamped addressed postcard marked ‘DATE WITH AN AGENT ACKNOWLEDGEMENT’ if you require acknowledgement of receipt of your entry.
- It is not possible to confirm receipt of entries by phone or email correspondence.
- Entries submitted posthumously will not be eligible.
- Entries will not be eligible where the author is a member of the judging panel, anyone involved in the administration of the festival or a close family relative of any such person. Writers currently serving a term of imprisonment are ineligible for the event.
- International Literature Festival Dublin reserves the right to alter the proposed programme without notice.
- In entering your submission, you agree that your contact details will be added to the International Literature Festival Dublin and Inkwell Group e-mailing lists. Your details will not be shared with any third parties.
- In entering your submission you are deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions